I’d Like To Buy The World A Diet Coke…And Drink The Whole Thing!

9 Jul

Greetings from American Airlines Flight something-or-other to Kansas City, Missouri. I’m 33,000 feet in the air, looking down over the great state of Oklahoma, fighting the urge to fall asleep. I don’t like to sleep in public because I know I snore and it embarrasses me. So I finished an episode of “Dallas” here I am, blogging and listening to Hans Zimmer’s re-worked “William Tell Overture” from the new “Lone Ranger” movie. The movie isn’t anything to write home about, but the 12-minute action sequence on the trains is pretty breathtaking.

As we leave Texas today, I begin my last week with Flashdance the Musical. It doesn’t seem possible to me that more than six months have passed already, and yet it feels like I’ve spent the last decade lugging my suitcases from hotel to hotel. I have worked all 188 performances to date, never missing one show (I can’t – I don’t have a replacement!) and, miraculously, without having killed anyone. Yet. There are still six performances left before I fly back to New York. There’s still time…

I’m nervous about Kansas City. The performance venue is a huge outdoor amphitheater. I’ve performed outdoors before. It’s hard in such brutal heat (tomorrow there is a heat advisory until 7pm – one hour before curtain), and I worry about the cast of this show. I’ve also heard rumor that I might have to move my entire booth and display inside at the end of each performance, which will not make me very happy. The good thing about outdoor theatre, though, is that matinees are impossible. It’s too hot and lights and projections don’t work in the daylight, so it will be a short week for us. That’s a very good thing.

I’ve started the end-of-tour process of repacking to go home. My suitcases were dangerously close to being overweight, so I had to box up a few things, including the cowboy boots that I got in Nashville and some of my heavier, cold-weather clothes, and I’ll ship those home to my parents’ house before I leave Kansas City. I’ve started cleaning up and cleaning out the booth. And I’ve started arranging my 3-week stay in New York. I found a sublet in Brooklyn through August 5, at which point I’ll go home to Kentucky to visit my family for a few days before I fly off to Denver to work on my next project.

(I’m writing to you now from the hotel in Kansas City, where I’m watching one my least favorite people on TV – Guy Fieri of the Food Network). Tonight I had a rather unspectacular dinner at a local KC establishment called Bar Louie. I had the 3-cheese mac and cheese with grilled chicken, which was somehow entirely flavor-free. I also had an unsweetened iced tea. Now, that I had iced tea is not really a big thing – I am southern, after all, but that I chose that over a diet soda is a big deal.

The other day, between shows, a few cast members and I were talking about weight and diet. It got me thinking, “Maybe I could give up just one thing. Just for a week. Just to see how it makes me feel.” So I have decided to give up diet soda for a week. Just as a test. I want to see if I feel any less puffy. Bloated. Gassy. Whatever you want to call it. I also want to get myself better hydrated since we’re going to be out in the heat so much this week. I’m also curious to see if my energy level changes the way some people have told me it will. We’ll see. I’ll keep you posted.

EDIT: I was just informed that Bar Louie’s is not, in fact, a Kansas City thing. It’s a chain restaurant! Who knew?! Color me not impressed.


3 Responses to “I’d Like To Buy The World A Diet Coke…And Drink The Whole Thing!”

  1. Craig W July 9, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

    Get yo’sef some BBQ!!

    • jasonhbratton76 August 13, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

      You know I did!! Oklahoma Joe’s. Maybe the best BBQ I’ve ever had. Ever. And that’s saying a lot.


  1. Don’t Stand So Close To Me | Confessions of a Merch Whore - August 13, 2013

    […] Greetings from 40,000 feet above somewhere over Indiana. I had a hard time getting to sleep last night – I don’t know if it was anxiety, excitement or the 2 quarts of iced tea I had, but I just could not get myself to sleep. It was nearly 3:30 a.m. when I finally nodded off, and my first alarm went off at 6:45. I should probably be sleeping right now, but as I said before, I don’t like to sleep in public. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: